SD38 Facilities Services

The home of the Facilities Services Division and Richmond Project Team


Renters often have a variety of questions about how to rent and use buildings. We have answered some of these on these pages for you. If you have additional questions, please contact the Facility Rentals Office at or 604-668-6036.

How long before my event should I request space?

Applications for space must be submitted a minimum of fifteen (15) business days prior to the first date of use. Requests must include adequate time required for set up and/or take down of any equipment related to your event.

Space fills up quickly, ensure your request is submitted with as much notice as possible and no less than fifteen (15) business days prior to the requested date of use.

How long will it take for my request to be approved?

Each request is different in nature and may require various approvals. Review times will vary. We are unable to provide timelines for when applications will be approved.

Ensure your application is submitted with as much notice as possible and with no less than 7 business days prior to the requested first date of use. If you are required to adhere to the advertising deadline, ensure your application is submitted as soon as possible.

My License has not been approved; can I still advertise my event?

Groups who advertise their event prior to having a License approved are doing so at their own risk.

  • Promotions and advertising distributed must not be presented in such a way that the School District is seen to endorse or be connected to the renter or its event or activities.
  • The facility can only appear on promotions and advertisements as the location site.
  • School District staff will not respond to public inquiries of any kind regarding the event or activities.
  • Clear contact information must be displayed in the advertisement so public inquiries are directed towards the event organizer not the School District.

Can I have a replacement booking for a cancelled date?

On occasion the school district will require access to the space for school or district functions, to perform maintenance or due to Joint Use Agreements. Substitute space in the district will not be made available. A refund or credit will be provided.

What happens if it snows?

Schools will not routinely be closed due to snow or other weather conditions unless there is damage or other circumstances that make it impossible to operate safely. If schools are closed to students during the day, renters will not be permitted access during the evening.

If schools are open for students during the day, rentals may still be cancelled due to snow, ice, immediate or preventative maintenance, or other related conditions. School closure information will be posted on our district home page at 

Where a rental takes place on a weekend, the operation of the event or activity may be cancelled. Please be aware that school parking lots will NOT be plowed or cleared of snow on weekends for renters. Groups are not permitted to clear the lots themselves or hire contractors to do so.

Can we rent schools during the school breaks?

No, currently during winter, spring and summer breaks our sites are not available for bookings. Please refer to the rental exception dates.

What is the size of each gym?

For a list of district gyms, their sizes and amenities, elementary click here and secondary click here. (coming soon)

Which gyms have wood floors?

The type of flooring in each school gym, elementary click here and secondary click here. (coming soon)

Which school gyms have adjustable basketball hoops?

A list of which gyms have adjustable basketball hoops, elementary click here and secondary click here. (coming soon)

Can we serve food in the gym?

Food and drinks, except water, cannot be served in any gyms in the district. Additional space must be booked for food service i.e. a hallway, cafeteria, multipurpose room or foyer.

Why do we have to have insurance?

When renting in the School District, rental groups are responsible for damage caused to the building and for the safety and health of participants in their programs. The School District needs to ensure that rental groups are covered for damage that may be caused or for injury or accidents caused when on site at district buildings or sites.

What equipment is provided with the rental?

Furniture such as desks, tables and chairs are included if requested and available. Groups are responsible for doing their own setup and teardown so please book time slots accordingly.

PE/athletic equipment such as score clocks, volleyballs, basketballs, soccer balls, etc. are not included in the rental. You are expected to bring your own. Some schools may approve the use of specific equipment such as volleyball nets and posts, but this must be confirmed at time of booking. Groups are responsible for setting up nets/posts and putting away any equipment after the event.

Can I rent the school for a social event?

Unfortunately, no. We do not allow rentals for social events such as weddings, birthday parties or other types of parties.

Can I serve alcohol on school premises?

Serving any alcoholic beverages is not permitted on school properties without written approval of the Secretary-Treasurer. An approval letter must be applied for in writing to the Secretary-Treasurer Office.

Can we rent the kitchen at a secondary school?

Commercial kitchens found in cafeteria spaces are not available for rent.

What if I have a complaint or concern about a user group or school staff person?

Please contact the Facility Rentals Office at or 604-668-6036 with any concerns or complaints in relation to your rental of a site or about others’ use of district buildings.

How do I get a school calendar?

The District’s annual calendar showing all Professional Days and School closure days can be found here.

Can we leave early if we are done or stay later than our designated rental time?

Rental groups are permitted access to school space or grounds for the exact times specified on the rental license. Rental groups are not permitted to stay past their designated rental time. No refund is provided when an event finishes early.

Who do we contact on the weekend if we have problems or questions with an ongoing rental?

If there is an emergency on site, for example a flood, fire, leak, building damage or otherwise, please contact the Operations Foreperson at 604-354-5516. They will contact either the Manager On-Call or trades to attend to the emergency.

If you have any other emergencies or critical problems during a weekend rental, please dial 604-354-5516 or for non-emergencies you can email or dial 604-668-6036 and leave a message.