The Facilities Planning Team (FPT) is charged with the critical task of evaluating the need for new and existing schools. This complex task is based on an ongoing analysis of the Richmond School District demographics, including projecting growth in the population of school age children from kindergarten through secondary school.
The FPT's primary responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Development and updating of the District Long Range Facilities Plan
- Design and planning for construction and modernization of schools, including development of the Five-Year Capital Plan
- Acquisition of sites for new schools and disposal of surplus sites
- Monitoring new development
- Review and evaluation of school catchment boundaries
- Assess site enrolment capacity and site utilization
School Catchment Area Boundary Revisions 2020-2021
As an initial step in addressing strategic recommendations contained in our Long Range Facilities Plan, the Richmond School District completed a review, including public and stakeholder consultation, of existing school catchment are boundaries and will be implementing 27 school catchment boundary revisions for the 2020-2021 school year. The package of revisions was approved by the Richmond Board of Education at its Public Meeting held December 11, 2019. Click here for the presentation made by the Executive Director that evening, which explains the rationale behind the revisions, summarizes the consultation process and subsequent analysis, lists the revisions recommended to proceed for September 2020 as well as those recommended to be deferred as more consultation and analysis is required.
It is important to note that families who have a child currently attending a school within a catchment area boundary revision:
- will not be affected by the boundary revision;
- have the choice to remain at the school in their current catchment or transfer to a school in their newly proposed catchment; and
- have the choice to enroll any siblings in their current catchment or their newly proposed catchment.
For a comprehensive list and descriptions of approved boundary revisions for 2020-2021, click here.
- School Locator - find the catchment schools for your address
- School Catchment Maps - graphical representations of school and district program locations, and catchment areas (Updated December 2019)
- Active Portable Classroom Inventory (Updated October 2021)